A great first lesson for a young baker.
Write a review
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, butter and lemon peel. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Spoon half of the batter into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Make a well in the center of each; add jam.
- Spoon remaining batter over jam. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Child friendly tips
- Skip the paper liners. Use baking spray to make the muffin tins nonstick. Paper just gets in the way, even for experienced bakers.
- Use a small "ice cream scoop" to measure batter for each muffin. A small scoop will allow for 2 scoops and you can pop the jam in between scoops.
- Make an apron by using an adult or older sibling's old shirt.
Loudoun Valley HomeGrown Markets Cooperative http://loudounfarmersmarkets.org/